I have always enjoyed watching the Kennedy Center Honors. This year show was a good mixture of honorees.
Top Row: Rita Moreno, George Lucas.
Second Row Seiji Ozawa, Carole King and Cicely Tyson
The Kennedy Center Honors is an annual honor given to those in the performing arts for their lifetime of contributions to American culture (though recipients do not need to be U.S. citizens). The Honors have been presented annually since 1978, and each December culminate in a star-studded gala celebrating the Honorees in the Kennedy Center Opera House. (from Wikipedia.com)
The 2015 honorees were: Carole King, George Lucas, Rita Moreno, Seiji Ozawa, and Cicely Tyson.
- Rita Moreno – Actress and singer who is one of the 12 people to have earned an EGOT – an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony. She is best known for her work in the film West Side Story, the Broadway play The Ritz, and her new role on Jane the Virgin.
- George Lucas – Renowned filmmaker and National Medal of Arts winner who created the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises. He founded Lucasfilm and Industrial Light & Magic, two of the most groundbreaking film companies. His wife Mellody Hobson will make a special tribute to him tonight!
- Seiji Ozawa – Grammy Award and Emmy Award-winning conductor known for advocating for modern composers.
- Carole King – Four-time Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. She has written some of music’s biggest hits like “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” and “Natural Woman,” as well as her own hits like “You’ve Got a Friend” and “Beautiful.”
- Cicely Tyson – Oscar-nominated, Emmy-winning, and Tony-winning actress who is best known for her work in the television movie The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, the miniseries Roots, the movie The Help, and Broadway plays such as The Trip to Bountiful.
The best performance of the night was by the Queen of Soul herself, Aretha Franklin signing Carole King’s “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman“.
Aretha Franklin (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman – Kennedy Center Honors 2015
Lawd have mercy. First of all Ms. Franklin comes out on stage with her full length mink coat and sparkling purse. Then she sits at the piano and starts playing the song.
Then… at the end of the song, Ms. Franklin takes off her mink coat and drops it to the ground. BAM! The audience goes crazy, the President and Mrs. Obama are cheering. I’m singing along with her… arm raised like I’m testifying.
Carole King seemed to be enjoying the performance. And it was cool watching the President and Mrs. Obama dancing and singing along to the song. I was waiting for the President to belt out “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman”.
The tributes for George Lucas, Rita Moreno, Seiji Ozawa, and Cicely Tyson
I have re-watched Aretha singing about 7 times since I started this post.
Personal note: When I worked at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Aretha Franklin came and sang for Detroit Pistons guard, Joe Dumars during his last season with the team. She walked out, to center court with her handbag with her. I was in shock, like she doesn’t have people who can carry her purse!
Make that 10 times re-watching it.
Filed under: Current Events, Movies, Music, Television | Tagged: (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman, Aretha Franklin, Carole King, Cicely Tyson, George Lucas, Kennedy Center Honors, Rita Moreno, Seiji Ozawa | Leave a comment »