My Aunt, Dolores, made the best Texas Sheet Cake. I saw this recipe posted and had some great memories of her and that cake.
One day, I will make it myself.
Saw this posted on Facebook and thought it was pretty funny.
From several posts on Facebook.
1. My goal for 2016 was to lose just 10 pounds … only 15 to go …
2. Ate salad for dinner. Mostly croutons and tomatoes … Really just one big, round crouton covered with… And cheese…………..FINE, it was a pizza… I ate a pizza …
3. How to prepare Tofu:
4. I just did a week’s worth of cardio after walking into a spider web …
5. I don’t mean to brag but… I finished my 14-day supply of diet food in 3 hours and 20 minutes …
6. A recent study has found women who carry a little extra weight live longer than men who mention it …
7. Kids today don’t know how easy they have it… when I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel…
8. Senility has been a smooth transition for me…
9. Remember back when we were kids and every time it was below zero out they closed school? Me neither.
10. I may not be that funny or athletic or good looking or smart or talented … I’m sorry, I forgot where I was going with this …
11. I love being over 50 … I learn something new every day … and forget 5 others …
12. A thief broke into my house last night … He started searching for money … so I woke up and searched with him…
13. My dentist told me I need a Crown … I said, “You bet, pour mine over rocks” …
14. I think I’ll just put an “Out of Order” sticker on my forehead
and call it a day …
“Just remember, once you’re over the hill you begin to pick up speed.”
Saw this on Facebook and thought I would post it here.
Ok…. I’ll play – will you??
36 ODD things about you!
Learn 36 things about your friends and let them learn 36 things about you!
1. Do you like blue cheese? No
2. Have you ever smoked cigarettes? Yes
3. Do you own a gun? No
4. What flavor Kool- Aid? Cherry
5. Do you get nervous before a Dr Appointment? Yes
6. What do you think of hot dogs? Koegel Viennas
7. Favorite Christmas movie? Scrooged
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Protein Shake – Chocolate
9. Can you do a push up? Yes
10. What’s your favorite piece of jewelry? Turquoise Necklace
11. Do you have a favorite hobby? Yes, Roadtrips
12. Do you have A.D.D? Yes
13. Do you wear glasses? Yes
14. Who was your childhood idol? Wonder Woman
15. Name 3 thoughts at this moment: I have to go to the bathroom, where is the remote? and I need to go to bed.
16. Name three drinks you regularly drink. Water, Protein Shakes and Iced Tea
17. Current worries? The changes that are coming up in the next couple of months
18. Current hate? Not being able to get my Christmas present RIGHT NOW! I have to order it.
19. Favorite place to be? Being near water (Lakes, Rivers, Ocean)
20. How do you bring in the New Year? Being around family and friends; eating and standing by a bonfire
21. Where would you like to go? Australia
22. Name 3 people that will complete this. No idea.
23. Do you own any slippers? No, chanclas
24. What color shirt are you in? Rose
25. Do you like sleeping in satin sheets? No, too slippery
26. Can you whistle? Yes
27. Where are you now? Von Ormy, Texas
28. Would you be a pirate? No
29. What song do you sing in shower? “Reflex” by Duran Duran
30. Favorite sports team? Detroit Lions
31. Favorite food? Mexican: Tacos
32. What’s in your pocket? Nothing
33. The last thing that made you laugh? My co-worker acting a fool
34. What’s your favorite animal? My Cat
35. Worst injury? Sprained ankle
36. How many TV’s in your house? 4
Here are some of the pictures that I’ve saved.
Saw this brown pelican at the docks by the ferry in Port Aransas, Texas.
I wish I was this creative.
One Christmas, I’ll have a tree like this one.
The is a post from From Oct 29, 2009. I was thinking about it the other day and it still cracks me up.
Take a few minutes to read this, it is pretty funny.
Notes from an inexperienced Chili taster named FRANK, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:
“Recently I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there at the judge’s table asking directions to the beer wagon when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn’t be all that spicy, and besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted. Here are the scorecards from the event:
Chili # 1: Mike’s Maniac Mobster Monster Chili
JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.
JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
FRANK: Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that’s the worst one. These Texans are crazy.
Chili # 2: Arthur’s Afterburner Chili
JUDGE ONE: Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.
JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
FRANK: Keep this out of reach of children! I’m not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.
Chili # 3: Fred’s Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili
JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.
JUDGE TWO: A bean less chili, a bit salty, good use of red peppers.
FRANK: Call the EPA, I’ve located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now, get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I’m getting shit-faced from all the beer.
Chili # 4: Bubba’s Black Magic
JUDGE ONE: Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it, is it possible to burn-out taste buds? Sally, the bar maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills, that 300 lb. bitch is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear-waste I’m eating. Is chili an aphrodisiac?
Chili # 5: Linda’s Legal Lip Remover
JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
FRANK: My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from a pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off? It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks!
Chili # 6: Vera’s Very Vegetarian Variety
JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice and peppers.
JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.
FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I shit myself when I farted and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Sally, she must be kinkier than I thought. Can’t feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!
Chili # 7: Susan’s Screaming Sensation Chili
JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chilli peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about Judge Number 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
FRANK: You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a damn thing. I’ve lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava-like shit to match my damn shirt. At least during the autopsy they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing, it’s too painful. Screw it, I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I’ll just suck it in through the 4 inch hole in my stomach.
Chili # 8: Mount Saint Helen’s Chili
JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili, safe for all, not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good, balanced chili, neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge Number 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor Yank, wonder how he would have reacted to a really hot chili?
FRANK: ————– (editor’s note: Judge #3 was unable to report)
Take a look at the Economy and Prices in 1966:
Yep, you read it right, Spaghetti with Ketchup.
A dear friend, Aldona, told me about this meal she are while growing up (and still). I didn’t believe her that it was a meal, but it’s true.
She sent me picture of it. This version has sausage in it. But when she first told me about it, it had hot dogs in it.
I guess growing up in Lithuanian, they had their own comfort food to eat as we did in the States.
I told her I was going to post this and I’m on a mission for more people to try this. I know I am.
Thanks for the recipe to this Aldona. maybe, one day we can enjoy this meal together.
Miss you, my friend.
What you need:
Ta da! That’s it.
I can’t wait to try it.